Monday, April 22, 2013

It's Always Africa


I might be among the few who have moved to Africa to experience city life. It isn’t the first continent that comes to my mind when I think of fast-paced and multi-cultural, but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t. I think most westerners have a warped image in mind when they hear “Africa”: giant reptiles, thatched roofs, women carrying enormous loads on their heads...if that is your view of Africa at large, then it will not surprise you to learn that I have seen all three of these things in the population-three-million-city of Pretoria. Granted, the reptile was only “giant” compared to others of its kind I’ve seen in the states, and it was domesticated, but I can check all three typical African sights off my list. 

I wish I could describe to you the integration of traditional Africa in the urban setting I’m living in. You think you’re in a completely modern world, driving down a four-lane highway, and then all of a sudden you’re staring at a shanty township, rows and rows of dilapidated shelters with metal roofs secured by rocks at the corners. It’s the stark, in-your-face reminders like this that jerk me back to the fact that Africa is very much...well...African. 

Since arriving I’ve realized I’m accustomed to being treated a certain way and having things meet my American standards, especially when it comes to service. I felt like a quote for auto insurance should have taken about 20 minutes, not nearly two business days. And take a look at this; it’s our bank.




And we thought bankers had it good in the states. Ha! 

While a few things done the “African way” are vastly different than the states, it hasn’t yet come down to a matter of right and wrong. I find myself saying “T.I.A.” a lot (this is Africa, for those wondering...and I didn’t make it up). But, I don’t always have to say it because something frustrating is happening; there are a number of times I could say it and mean quite the opposite. 

For instance, today Todd and I had to get petrol. No one pumps their own petrol here; you just pull in and are directed by an attendant who then pumps the gas for you and cleans your windshield while you sit in the car. You tip them R5 (something like...65 cents, maybe?), and are on your way. T.I.A.!

This weekend we went out to one of the biggest if not THE biggest mall I’ve ever been in. We saw a movie at the theater there, and you actually get to select your seat at the kiosk where you purchase your tickets. Here’s Todd demonstrating:



The theater was really nice, big and clean, and the tickets were certainly reasonably priced. T.I.A.!

After our movie, we stopped at an ice cream shop (Todd loves ice cream), and as I strolled nonchalantly over to the counter, the man mentioned that they had some sorbet flavors as well. I tried to keep from showing any excitement. I can’t do ice cream, but I do enjoy sorbet, when I can find it. I tasted the mango sorbet and my mouth started fanfaring. It was among the most delicious substances I’ve ever tasted...amazing! I savored every single bite of my one-scoop serving (I was trying not to be a fatty). It was like they’d just pureed a mango and frozen it. I love mango, so I would probably have been thrilled with less exciting results, but this knocked it out of the park. I deem that mall among my favorites. T.I.A.!!!

I could go on...I never thought I’d have a cute car, but God gave us one. It was well within the car fund we’d had to raise before coming. I’ve said on multiple occasions, “isn’t that a cute car?” Todd always answers in the affirmative, but I don’t know that he ever really wanted to be driving a “cute car.” (I’ll have to put up a picture some time...I don’t have one yet.) T.I.A.!!!

Then there’s the apartment. That will be at least one full post in itself later, but let me just give you a teaser...it’s incredible. T.I.A.!!!

We have lots to be thankful for, as always, and lots to continue learning about South Africa. I’m sure I’ll have to keep praying for an attitude adjustment at times, and maybe try to learn to enjoy the “laid back” lifestyle and culture that abounds, even in what appears to be a busy, modern, fast-paced city. Don’t let it fool you, though; you know its secret. T.I.A.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment