Saturday, May 18, 2013

The House


Here’s the house! our little duplex (townhouse) in Kilnerpark, Pretoria. I feel like it took an age to get the place photo-worthy, and you might notice that it still looks a bit spartan. But the living/dining rooms, the bedroom, half-bath and foyer all got a face lift and are looking much cleaner in their new coats of paint. This was my first major painting project. I did a lot of the trim work, so don’t look too closely. 




Behold, the kitchen! I'm not too proud of my photography, but there wasn't much to see anyway. Not that that matters...it's well stocked with almost everything I could need for cooking and baking. It's so nice to be able to feed ourselves again :) 


Most refrigerators here are really small, though granted, ours is extremely small. You don't buy bulk but rather make frequent, lite trips to the grocery store. 


Here's the dining room! You wouldn't believe how expensive the dining tables/chairs are here. We were blessed to find this one for just over $100 at a really sketchy shop in a really sketchy part of town. I don't recommend going alone. Anyway, we're so glad to have a table big enough for four people. This is actually a six-seater, but it's really cramped with all six chairs, hence only the four you see here.


My view from the table :) I love the back garden. Usually the sheer blinds are pulled to, as the complex gardener comes and goes periodically. 


This is the other half of the large room that makes up the dining/living rooms. It's cozy :) 


Now for the upstairs bathroom. I can't tell you how happy I am that there's a shower, which isn't a given in ZA homes. There's often just a big tub, which you can't see pictured here. And yes, that's our washing machine. 


Here's the guest bedroom, awaiting sheets and a sheer curtain, but otherwise, it's looking quite comfortable...just in case you were wondering. Shall I keep the lamp on for you?


Lastly, the master bedroom. It's huge! And I'm in love with the color we put on the wall, Phantom Moss. Doesn't that just enchant you? The bedside tables were purchased on the side of the road, which is very common. The room has a great window, and plenty of closet/cupboard storage on the wall to the right. Also, you'll notice a very thin carpet on the floor, which feels about 100 times better on one's feet than tile in the winter. Brr!

So, that's almost the grand tour. I didn't include the half-bath down stairs because really, who wants to look at a toilet? This isn't a real estate listing, so I just left it out. 

Come visit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment