Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Weapon of Choice

It was a rainy Monday late-morning in the fair kingdom of Overbeek when the lunch moster came creeping round my kitchen. I could have unsheathed one of my usual combat techniques: opening a can of Progresso Light series soup (an easy, tasty lunch I enjoy often), but I felt a more interactive weapon would serve me better. I decided, rather, to wield *pause for dramatic effect* the Chicken and Dumpling.

Of course, in order for this weapon to have been at my disposal at all, prior planning was required. That morning I'd secured a fine rotisserie poultry at my local edibles supplier, and was, at the moment of the attack, attempting to prep it for consumption. My fingers worked deftly, scavenging the little bird for the meat, discarding the bone and other less useful matter.

Having sufficient chicken in my possession, my next step was to compile the soup component of the dish. I wrangled open a can of Mr. Swanson's chicken broth, poured it along with some water over the meat, lightly salted and dry-onioned it, and ignited the electric stove, hoping a boil would quickly ensue.

Not one to usually fail me, the stove top did its work in a most prompt fashion, which kept the lunch monster at bay, for the time. The true test was yet to come.

As is always the case when I select this particular weapon, I saw that it was time to consult Lord Bisquick. A finer authority on the delicate art of dumpling making I doubt one could easily find. He was a tremendous aid in the speedy development of a fine batch of dumpling dough, which I dropped atop the boiling chicken soup in clumps of varying sizes. The only thing to do now was wait.

Once the dish was complete, I valiantly sparred with my recurring opponent, ultimately vanquishing it for the time...though, vast experience has taught me that it can never be completely overthrown. Even now, as I sit typing this account of tasty success, I can sense it approaching...

Here is the recipe for Chicken and Dumplings, as provided by Lady Overbeek (my mother-in-law). As you can see, the version I made was a little less involved as I used pre-cooked chicken that did not have to be removed from the liquid and cut up. Either way will work, but I like short cuts.


  • 3 chicken breasts
  • 2 cups Bisquick mix
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Boil chicken breasts about 20 minutes until done, remove from liquid and cut into bite size pieces. Return chicken to broth and bring to a boil. Mix together Bisquick mix and milk until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling broth. Reduce heat, cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer. 


Can you see the steam rising from that bowl?! I am a huge CnD fan, and this recipe is so terribly easy. I've been on a CnD kick for a little while. It's probably what I'll whip up again today to ward off the inevitable lunch monster :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment