Monday, January 14, 2013

On Our Way

I'll spare you the details of the morning...for me, they are mostly sad and wet :(

Our flight from Knoxville to Dallas left pretty close to on-time, and we spent the next 2.5 hours in the very back row of a miniature plane. We emerged stiff and starving, and set about finding our for real "last meal." Last American meal, that is.

The Dallas Fort Worth airport is huge and we landed in the same terminal from which we would be departing. For this reason, we opted to eat here, too. I have no idea what the pizza situation will be in Africa, but I thought it (per my mom's suggestion) better to be safe than sorry. I had my tastebuds all geared up for a nice greasy, cheese-less slice, only to find that the only pizza joint in our terminal was a sit-down restaurant. Airport restaurants are expensive enough without sitting down. We considered other options.

In the end, we both got chicken sandwiches and potato wedges from Fudruckers. It hit the spot :)

For the last 3 hours we've been sitting here at gate D22, listening to the attendants relay information on each new delay. At one point, they told us that the maintenance department hadn't determined whether the craft would be usable, but they would let us know as soon as a decision was reached.

I fail to see the necessity for debate.

Thankfully (obviously?!), they decided against the orignal plane, and we are awaiting our replacement from Los Angeles. It should be here any minute (that's airport time, mind you), and we are set to take off at 6:35pm. That puts us in Frankfurt, Germany at about 11:00am, a good deal later than we had thought.

The good news is no one around us in this massive gate area is causing a scene, that I can see. The weather here is beautiful, and now it will be dark for more of our flight, creating a more sleep-conducive environment. Todd and I have seats together (aisle and window! Yay!), and I have a bag full of Jelly Bellies, compliments of my mother-in-law. I think we're gonna make it.

While I did mention that the morning was sad, here are a few happy moments :)








Todd and his sisters.


Me and my youngest sister. 



Me and mom.



Me, mom, and dad. 


Todd and his mom. Happy Birthday! (or Melancholy Birthday, as I told her this morning)























The terribly handsome Todd, enjoying his last chicken sandwich. 


And we're off! Don't be fooled by our carefree expressions...our bags may be the death of our backs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment