Thursday, June 6, 2013

How Much Do You Know?

Dear Kimberly,

Do you read blogs? I mean other than this one. I do. People are always posting links to blogs on Facebook, and sometimes they’re worth reading. Sometimes I read them because I’m curious. Sometimes I read them to stay in the loop or get an idea. Sometimes I read them because I have a sneaking suspicion I already know what they’ll say. 

I read a blog that was linked to Facebook this week called “15 Things Jesus Didn’t Say.” The name of the blog post and the picture used in the link caught my attention.  I wondered if it wouldn’t be another one of the abundant posts today that use verses out of context. Since that was my expectation, I wasn’t surprised when I began reading.

Here’s the link to the original post, but I’ll copy the content of it here. There was no introduction or conclusion, nothing but the title and these 15 “isms” that Jesus supposedly didn’t say. Take a look...

15 things Jesus Didn’t Say:
“For God was so disgusted with the world and you that he gave his one and only Son.”
“I have come to bring you a new religion.”
“By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have correct theology.”
“If anyone would come after me, let him disparage all other religions and their followers.”
“If you love me, you will regularly attend a church of your choice… within reason.”
“Blessed are the tithers for they shall be called the children of God.”
“Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in Heaven after the earth goes up in flames and destroyed.”
“You have heard it said, ‘Love your neighbor,’ which means the people with whom you attend church and relate to in your Christian sub-culture.”
“In my Father’s house there are a limited number of rooms. But no worries, there is plenty of room in Hell.”
“The kingdom of God has come!… Well, not exactly. I mean, not completely. Let’s face it, the really-real kingdom comes after we die. Hang in there. It won’t be long.”
“And you will know the truth and the truth will make you superior to all the other simpletons who never learned Greek or Hebrew.”
“You are the light of the world… well… in a sinful-filthy-scum kind of way.”
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you a checklist of things to do and not do in order to remain in God’s favor.”
“For God so loved the world… you know like theoretically… as in, God loves the big ‘W’-world. But when it come to you specifically, that are quite a few things that would need to change for God to actually and specifically love… or even like… YOU.”
“He appeared to his disciples over a period of 40 days and spoke about how to incorporate his life and teaching as a 501(c)3, and go into all the earth to build mega-churches in his name.”

I want to use this post as an example of how much authority this kind of “argument” appears to give the one using it. It’s dangerous, but can be effective. People who don’t know the bible or the God of bible well are susceptible to reading a post like this and saying, “you know, that’s right! Those words never came out of Jesus’ mouth!” Just because someone appeals to the life and teachings of Jesus doesn’t automatically make what they say true. We have to use our critical thinking skills to sift their words.

Every word of the bible is inspired by God (2 Timothy 3), and the point is that his principles are clear, even in cases where we don’t have exact words from Jesus’ mouth. It’s always going to be more valuable and beneficial for you to study what the bible does teach rather than coming up with things it doesn’t. 

It’s a good test to read through posts like this one and see how many errors you can pick out. Can you see any false ideas that are presented here? Can you counter any of these statements with scripture that exists? Do you know any principles that are being ignored and rendered less important because Jesus doesn’t appear to have directly spoken them? 

This is your foundation. If you don’t know the bible, you’re susceptible. Take this as an opportunity to “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15, ESV). 

Love,

Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment