Thursday, July 11, 2013

The slightly beautiful beauty regimen: What a minimal make-up wearer puts on her face

I, like most women, have a make-up bag...this little Clinique bag that my mom gave me one spring when they do their special promotion thing. She usually keeps the make-up, but I’ve gotten a lot of little nice bags :) 

It’s not very big and it doesn’t have very much in it, and out of what is in it, there’s even less that I actually use. If I put mascara on, I’m sufficiently made up. I sometimes feel like being more painted, I guess, and for those moments when that fancy strikes I keep an eyeliner or two and some shadow on hand. But that fancy doesn’t strike often. 

However, I recently hit upon a few items that I enjoy using, and two of them are absolutely invisible! Which, I suppose, disqualifies them from being in the make-up category, but I put them on my face regularly anyhow. Here’s a rundown of what I now consider my essentials:

1. Olay Complete Care Day UV Cream, SPF 15
I have been far too lenient in my sunscreen application, I’m sorry to tell you. I love a good tan and have preferred to go out bare-faced rather than lathered up with SPF, but that’s all changing. I live in one of the sunniest places on earth, I think. The winters are sunny, the summers are sunny, and there’s a good chance that fall and spring will be sunny most of the time, too. I think my face has taken enough of a beating (or burning, in this case) over the years, and a few years in ZA may, if I’m not careful, earn me a new nickname: raisin cheeks. 

The most important thing in a day cream is, of course, the SPF (just read what the pros say about it). Regardless of where you live, if you’re waring a moisturizer that doesn’t have UV protection, you should think about chucking it. 

2. Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Deep Wrinkle Moisture, Night
If one calls what they wear during the sunlit hours a “day” cream, you can infer that they probably slather on something of a different formula at night. I used to just rub my excess hand lotion all over my face to take the dry, tight edge off, but now I’m using something that may be a bit more beneficial. Before anyone laughs at me I know I’m not wrinkly, not yet anyway. And no, I’m not obsessed with staying youthful forever. But, this cream contains a retinoid which is good for keeping things from getting too saggy, and it can help with the appearance of pores, which I find more interesting. You can’t, of course, make your pores disappear, but you can try to prevent them from getting elongated. I look at this as my elasticity booster...I use it in the hopes of keeping my face and pores from sagging down to my shoulders. 

The reason you look for a retinol in your night cream is because it’s not advisable to wear a product containing retinol in the sun. The cream can, actually, dry out your face so some recommend wearing it every other night. This particular product isn’t as strong as a prescription product would be, though, so it hasn’t aggravated my face too much. If I feel like I need a break, I just wear my day cream to bed.

3. Garnier Skin Naturals BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector
It’s been a long time since my foundation-wearing days. I had some as a teenager that I wore until...I guess 18? I got out of the habit. I didn’t have horrible acne and I wasn’t good at blending. I think the contrast between my face and neck was a little strong  sometimes, and who honestly wants to rub something that feels like mud into your face? 

I read about BB creams just last week and decided to give them a try. They’re light on your face and work like a tinted moisturizer. This one also contains SPF (and hey, I’m all about SPF!). This is a product that started in Germany, gained popularity in Asia, and has only been marketed in the USA for the past couple of years. I highly recommend this one! BB stands for blemish balm, or beauty balm, and works like a silky charm. It’s good if you don’t want a deep cover up, like a traditional foundation would be. I put it on and just feel a little more even, just slightly more polished. I seriously only wear a tiny bit, I can’t even give you a good measurement. I just put a pearl-sized amount on my index finer, dot it around strategically (focusing on my pore areas), and blend it over my face. I ask Todd to tell me if my face looks orange or if there’s an obvious difference between my neck and face, to which he has always answered “no.” 

I think some people may apply a loose powder over their BB cream, but I’ve not found it to be too glossy without. And plus, having to apply a powder would just be too involved for me ;) 

4. Cover Girl LashBlast Mascara
This is my old standby, my absolute favorite mascara for many years now. Mascara has always been my favorite make-up, and is most often the only element I take the time to apply. 

Mascara commercials are ridiculous, in case you haven’t noticed, and they all promise the most stop-stare lashes you or Minnie Mouse could ever imagine. This one, though, does not make hollow promises, not in my experience. This mascara, which I wear in blackbrown, coats, elongates, and separates to perfection. I don’t plan to ever switch, provided they don’t change their formula...I used to be a Revlon Fabulash follower, but they changed to a formula that flaked and crumbled while on my lashes. They forced my hand something like six years ago and after finding this bright orange tube, I never looked back. 

Oh, just to warn you, I don't advise going waterproof with this one; good luck getting it off if you do. 


So, there you have it; my staples. I should also add chap stick to the list (I’m lost without my chap stick). As you can see, it's not a flashy or particularly interesting regimen. Maybe I've gotten too old and too married to care ;)





2 comments:

  1. I can't go without my chap stick, either!! My family and Chris always tease me about my chap stick addiction.

    I'm interested in trying that mascara. Even though I've liked Mary Kay's well enough, I feel like it's become less and less effective.

    And I have to admit, I found it funny when you said applying powder would be too involved for you. ;) I wear a foundation powder of Mary Kay's that I LOVE! I just "throw it on" without anything else on my face (except for the occasional SPF application), and it smooths and blends well.

    I, like you, am a minimalist. The powder, mascara, and chap stick are usually it. Occasionally I'll add eyeliner and shadow if I feel like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well for me, I've always relied on a liberal coating of 10-30 motor oil, bearing grease, 30 year old rust as a hair tonic.

    ReplyDelete