Saturday, June 30, 2012

Field Trippin'

I only remember a few field trips from back in my school days...I grew up in Chattanooga and recall taking one very exciting trip to Rock City, and another to the Warner Park Zoo. The first task was packing as many of us first graders as could fit on as few school buses as possible (a novelty for me, the kid dropped off by parentals), and handing out our brown sack lunches. Then we were divided into groups of three and assigned an adult from the collection of parents or grandparents who had agreed to chaperone. For some reason, we all thought this was great fun.

Last week I took another field trip, but this time I got to be one of the family volunteer chaperones, and I must say...it was far superior to any other field trip I've ever taken. My sister-in-law invited me along to help out with her kids while we explored Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg. I was thrilled to tag along! I'm always looking for ways to earn Aunt of the Year from Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thingette.

We didn't board a school bus but did enjoy comfortable, air conditioned, and safety belt-equipped seats in the minivan. Rather than sack lunches, we visited the fine dining establishment of Chick-fil-A. Field trips have come a long way. :)




Thing 1 actually put his hand in the horseshoe crab exhibit! I was shocked, as he is far from the daring type...I mean, the poor guy screamed when a three foot shark started swimming towards him from behind the glass. And I use "towards him" loosely. Like his aunt, he usually prefers to enjoy from a distance, and there's nothing wrong with that.



I'm convinced that Thing 2, on the other hand, would have picked up the whole crab...had he only been tall enough to reach over the counter. He's the tough one. :) 



I am not ashamed to tell you that Thing 1 and I shared a favorite exhibit...the Nemo tank, what else? It really was beautiful with the coral, and all the Nemos, Marlins, and Dories swimming around. 



There they are! Taking in life on the reef! Dory was so fast...it was hard to get her still enough for a picture, but I got pieces of several here so I guess that counts.



Poor Thing 2...maybe next year, buddy. I'm not even sure what was going on in this tank anyway. It doesn't look like he was missing much, but whatever was there, he was definitely missing. :) 



Takin' on the jellies! These things were so pretty. They just sort of gracefully propel their way around, like some kind of gangly extra terrestrial ballerina...or something. It's clear I haven't given it a lot of thought. 



Finally, something he can see! Thing 2 gets a really good look at the penguin display. 



And, lest you think we forgot her in the car, here's Thingette, who managed to sleep her way through the entire Aquarium. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment