Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bran' New Favorite

While trying new recipes is something I do frequently, only occasionally do I hit upon a real winner. And when I do, I feel absolutely compelled to share it! The most reent treasure I encountered was Low-Fat Blueberry Bran Muffins, from Undressed Skeleton.


I love bran muffins and this lighter, healthier version tastes exactly like the muffins I grew up eating, just with fewer calories (ding ding ding!!) While the blueberries were an interesting addition, I found that they didn't really do much to enhance the overall experience. I have another actual blueberry muffin recipe (I'll share sometime) that I like much more when Todd wants to enjoy a good blueberry muffin (his favorite). But as far as bran muffins go, I don't think you'll find better.


I got 15 muffins out of the batter, but I suppose if I'd been consistent I probably could have gotten a few more...they just would have been a bit smaller than I like my muffins. I put a wee dab of butter on and enjoy a completely delicious (and low cal!) breakfast!


Low-Fat Blueberry Bran Muffins

Calories: 123 | Total Fat: 0.9g

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
  • 1 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup blueberries

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners. Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries. Scoop into muffin cups.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.


For many more healthy recipes, visit Undressed Skeleton.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment