Thursday, October 31, 2013

An easy, fantastical soup!

Because it's fall in the world of my dear readers, I thought it would be appropriate to share a recipe I came upon during my fall, which was earlier this year. I was perusing Pinterest when I first saw it, and the title was intriguing: lasagna soup. I love lasagna, but my dairy intolerance keeps me from sampling more than a bite or two (or five) from Todd's helping.

I was probably skeptical when I read through the recipe, wondering where the "catch" was. I mean, could it really be a dairy-free soup that actually tasted like lasagna?

The truth: yes it could.

This recipe is easy, delicious, and possesses that rare gift of living up to its name. It really does taste like a classic lasagna! I don't follow the recipe perfectly...for example, we don't do peppers and I buy two cans of whole tomatoes and blend them to liquid instead of doing anything diced. I don't like chunky vegetables in my soup. Also, why on earth go to the trouble of breaking up lasagna noodles? I throw in a couple handfuls of bow tie pasta and we're quite happy with the outcome. I add some extra water sometimes, but that just depends on how thick/thin you prefer your soup.

Here's an opinion: If you don't have any basil (either fresh or dried) then just wait to make it until you do. I think it "makes" this soup.

I sprinkle Todd's serving with cheese and leave mine without and we both feel like we've eaten a real lasagna dinner :) Easier to make than a real lasagna (unless you're doing Stouffers, and who doesn't do Stouffers? I'll rephrase: easier than homemade lasagna), fewer calories, and it hits that it's-fall-so-I-want-soup craving.

Need I say more?  Go check it out here!

And no, this is not my picture. I got it from the link with the recipe. My soup is not quite this picturesque :)

http://thedeenbros.com/index.php/recipes/recipe_detail/bobbys_lighter_tastes_like_lasagna_soup/


No comments:

Post a Comment